Sunday, May 23, 2010

Train of Thought: In and Around Day 1

I haven’t written a series of blogs successfully since Spring Break 2007, and then barely, at that.

I was proud of myself for having some sort of journalistic integrity describing the lucidity of Las Vegas as a teenager, but like most of my early writing, it turned to mush quickly.

I get ahead of myself, see.

My first year of college is over. I am officially not as ignorant as before.

My dad and I decided that the best way to travel back home this spring would be by train. It’s an experience. I’ve told this to people (not friends, just strangers) and I’ve received mixed reactions.

“Trains are stupid. They’re for illiterate pansies.”

That was harsh and irrational.

“I like trains. Good for you, Joel.”

Thank you, stranger.

We saw Hair on the night before we left for Oregon, with Philadelphia, D.C. and Chicago stops in between. My dad laughed louder than the rest of the crowd. That was embarrassing, but only at first. I forget how loud I am. I cried at the majesty of ‘60s culture while my dad assumed the role of unseen Hair characters from memory.

We danced onstage at the end and I was almost ashamed of my dad’s interpretation of the Rain Dance, but I accepted his lineage when I noticed I was the only dancer on the off-beat.

Thus is life.

1 comment:

KurdstheWord said...

You know, in the middle of the income distribution, there's equality. You can't say that of the United States. It's hard for the brain to tell you that it needs to rest a little. But I would like to use the underlying data on the quality of our lives. I'll give you a couple of things to ponder regarding this choice to change the world. One day I would like to have the choice to make something happen the same way that others have before us. Consider French people being the first although anyone could do it. How many of you have ever thought about French people being the first although anyone could do it. How many of you have ever thought about French income distribution suddenly assuming that of the United States. In a way, this is similar to a patient who was very comfortable with himself. If you look at the science behind it, happiness also means looking at the history of our lives.