Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Well now we're respected in society

(We don't worry about the things we used to be)

I read to the end of my Macroeconomics textbook expecting heaven to open
and BOY was I surprised to find that the main author (Colander, 7th edition) had thrown his hands in the air and said he didn't know.
"Global development is a complicated issue..."
I appreciate your honesty, I really do, but we had a deal, Colander.
You were going to give me the information I needed and I would blindly memorize said information.
You have cheated me. You printed a book, nine hundred pages of graphs and models that don't accurately illustrate reality.
You are an honest man, but you are a deal breaker.

I wanted to study economics because it is an undiscerning art.
It isn't one of those "pseudo-sciences" like politics or chemistry.
Economics was grounded in reality.
And you have spat on my dug grave.

On a different note entirely,

I have been highly amused to find that it's true. I can be the mayor of one town and the mare of the next.

We don't worry about the things we used to be.

Back home, I'm a ruthless, benevolent braggart that craves attention and can't make up his mind.

And that's me.

At this school, The New School, I'm an off-beat Northwest cynical, displeased smirker that revels in his intelligence as much as his indie music tastes.

Somewhere else, I'm probably a despot, a heathen, a priest or a vagrant.
And those are me, too.
It's more than presentation, it's stepping into a role.
And they were right when they said you could be anything you want to be,
But they forgot to mention that

You're also a whole lot that you don't want.

1 comment:

Bridgette said...

Nothing is really grounded in reality.