Saturday, November 13, 2010

They are... difficult issues

Today was the longest day of the year by my count. It still hasn't ended.

Two dramatic happenings:

I was at work at the theater for something like ten hours today, on and off. I have a calm, often apologetic demeanor with patrons. I want them to know that they are in control, while I tell them what they can and cannot do.
Today, I learned to be assertive
(Not aggressive, Not Aggressive)

The show had started, we held the start for five, ten minutes for late comers and then come rushing up two patrons, a married couple, looking determined.
We scan their tickets and direct them towards the monitor with a moving picture of the happenings on stage. The wife comes to me and complains that the picture is not adequate.
"You can't see anything!"
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry,
"We'll go into the theater and stand in the back." She said this so many times. ALL BROADWAY HOUSES do this. ALL of them. So why don't you? Where does it say on my ticket that I can't stand in the back?

She said all of that so many times.

She rushed while the show is in progress to an unmarked exit door, "We'll just go in here" she says, declaring I can't control her actions, she's an adult and she will be treated accordingly.

It's actually building policy that we only late seat at specific times agreed upon by our staff and the production staff. Only. It is my job to make this clear and make it happen. I'm rather calm in times like these.
She was not having it.

"I'm sorry, but that door is locked."
"What do you mean it's locked?"

She gave me devil eyes.
"It's company policy that...

And that's when my manager stepped into the situation, seeing that the woman was going to give me a mouthful. My manager had had a long, tiring day and she was not willing to concede anything to anyone so when the patron exclaimed that the monitor was not adequate, my manager smiled. "It's company policy..."

And that's when the battle of wills began.

More and more and more and
Yelling and WHO do you think you are and JUST LOOK AT YOU and You're being patronizing and all of it escalated.

You'll have to wait for the break.
Where does it say that? That's not how Broadway works.

And then the police were called and there were tears shed by all parties.

The patron yelled at my manager and accused her of not being properly educated all the way through the late seating break.How blind she was.

It was overreaction and ego. There is no winner in a battles of wills. There are only the unsatisfied and the foolish.

I feel guilty for not quelling this.

Things not need escalate

No comments: