Monday, December 6, 2010

Charity is Great

But it is not enough.

There's some hubbub about a fad on facebook, that's a social network I frequent, about changing one's profile picture to a cartoon character to fight against child abuse. There was some ideological backlash, of course, because it involves effort. I think most people ignored it.
Though, If it would have been framed as "raising awareness" or "bathing in nostalgia" or not framed at all, it would have results as powerful as when users were asked to change their picture (voluntarily and not by facebook itself) to Pokemon or doppelgangers.

One of my friends even started a reverse trend fighting terrorism with pictures of orange juice.

And then I saw this lecture by Slajov Zizek and after the initial nausea was the grain of truth reflected in the hubbub.

Are you really making a difference, or passing over for status quo?




I'm not throwing away my TOMS shoes or shaving my hair that I was growing for charity. Charity is still necessary, I made my professor and classmates tell me,
but Joel, does shoelessness still prevail?

One less person! It's still useful!
Yes, but the problem, Joel.

The problem.

4 comments:

Joseph Moullet said...

pssst... idealism.

Joseph Moullet said...

Is fighting terrorism the reverse of child abuse? If so, I am going to beat every child I see, not just my own.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Moullet said...

I'll cause you...