Thursday, March 17, 2011

"The Long Rain" by Ray Bradbury, is probably my favorite story

I'm developing a nasty habit of making decisions not on practicality or interest, but on adventurism. In about ten minutes, I'll leave my building and walk to a bus stop to board the six-thirty to Philadelphia. I'll hang out with my girlfriend for 48 hours, 24 of them ostensibly sleeping and then I'll go back to New York and sleep.

That's stupid. That's a stupid decision. It's stupid that I haven't slept. It's stupid that my first St. Patrick's Day that I've been willing and able to drink, not legal, but (described below), I won't be hanging with my friends and vomiting. Stupid.

I missed a train to Montreal yesterday at around this time. Scott, Chris and I (these are just names) were planning on having a French-Canadian adventure and it fell slowly to pieces. It was a slow burn, a roast. Chris couldn't find his passport. I found mine but nearly didn't wake up in time. Scott couldn't print his tickets at the station and when he did, we both stood waiting for the other one at different entrances, not willing to travel to Canada alone for four days.

It was pretty silly, but I only really was going to go to Canada because it was an adventure, I was with my friends and I could get drunk legally.

But I don't really want to get drunk. I only want to experience it because I'd be with my friends and it's an adventure.
Reductionism.

It's so late right now that I walked over to my mirror and watched my face change color. I don't know how people accept insomnia. They probably don't accept it, Joel. Fine.

I found out my Dad didn't have cancer yesterday. It was a looming, harsh fear despite the likely ease of removal and low risk, comedy is a based on a rule of threes. We were all pretty sure that he had cancer again, just the mention of the possibility and my family nodded their heads, resigned.
But he doesn't! He's okay for now!

That's exciting isn't it?

Also, Brother Joel (Thanks for reading) responded to my first email after months of postponing the inevitable. Great humor, this guy. I hope we can be brothers and friends.

Good morning.

Post Blog: Have you checked out my second blog? It's called Critique: By Critics. It's at criticlasm.wordpress.com.

I think it's funny. I hope more people write for it, although it's perfect now.

No comments: