Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Well isn't that a care package? (Thank you, Amelia)

Today is a big day.
It's a Tuesday. That means really one thing worldwide, Tie-dye.
It hardly has any bearing here, but that's the unenlightened for you.
They'll jump on the hippest of band wagons soon enough.

It's just a Tuesday.
I have my Culture class and my Archive class on this day.
I usually read articles for the class and write and read striking dystopian novels in my spare Tuesday moments.

Today, though, wasn't just Tuesday,
Today was part of my life.

No, I didn't try Coke for the first time.
I'd like to think that would mean less than my actuality of Tuesday, today.

I met her. She's some great figure in my life.
I didn't meet her through some squashed orientation where we only knew each other's names because they were on tags beneath our lapels, we met in a building. It was a school building, sort of zapping the destiny, but... regardless!

We smiled at each other, I printed something, stuffed in the disorganization of my backpack, and she smiled at me. That's two. I wasn't counting then, I just have a vivid memory of this moment. I felt light-headed. I probably hadn't eaten enough. I have food; I need to remember to eat.
She smiled at me and took an obliging step towards me and then recoiled. I thought nothing of this cat and dog play. I spoke in Spanish about the elevator. She responded in English.

Why does this seem so serendipitous?
The elevator ride down was trying not to make eye-contact. They are very small, the elevators. We were on the ground floor, again enveloped in silence, but this will change. I was focused on making conversation with this girl.

I walk West and South, altogether the wrong directions for going back to the apartment, but there I head, because that's where she's going. Two, three fluid moments of nothing.
I was somewhere else watching me. I approved.

She looks at me, smiles and we talk about so little. I know her name is Justine, she's from Oakland, lives at Loeb Hall, and it's her second year at Lang.
We were at the main building in no time, she followed her classmate inside, announcing to me that she didn't remember where her class was.
I'll talk to her again.
I have a purpose.

She's either my future girlfriend, or a forward conversationalist that will be one of my best friends. I know this going in. I knew that when we left the elevator.

It's funny that we place importance on these pieces of circumstance.
I was probably too light-headed from not eating enough breakfast to really comprehend the interaction, but I've eaten now, and it bears the same.

A part of my life happened today.

(After reading, I hope you'll understand my frame of mind. This was quick to write, though it'd been on my mind for an hour. I was listening to to

Bright Eyes - First Day of My Life
Arcade Fire - (Antichrist Television Blues)
Audrye Sessions - The Crows Came in
- (Early in the Morning)
Thrice - The Sky is Falling
Radiohead - Knives Out
Alexi Murdoch - Orange Sky
some ancient Death Cab, some City and Colour, Amiina and Minus the Bear

This was not mood-altering, but mood-enhancing)

No comments: