Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"What I read right now in the eyes of Japanese children is curiosity,"

is a quote from Sans Soleil.
The closing line is also a quote from the Chris Marker film.


A man was walking past as I snapped pictures of the tops of buildings.
"It's beautiful," I said.
"I see it every day and I never get tired of it," he replied.

Or maybe, sir, you don't remember the day before.
If you focused on yesterday, you would see stills of a time that was, right?
The highlights of your day, the memorable moments of your significant other,
of the ketchup on your sleeve,
of the support of your boss to move forward,
of Bette Midler song that blasted out a coffee shop in Chelsea,
and probably six dozen or so nagging images that were caught in your grill.

I think I don't look up enough to make it mean something.
The skyline is just a feature of everyday life, ignorable, ignoble, simple;
you can cast it away.
With that, every time you look up,
a pleasant surprise.

It makes me wonder what I will think of yesterday when today becomes yesterday.
And what will the images of me be tomorrow for that man?
For every man?
It's ridiculous to forget all of yesterday, right?
Right?

“The partition that separates life from death does not appear so thick to us as it does to a Westerner.”

No comments: