Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Cheetahs can get surgery, can't they?

I should be doing all sorts of things.
I have two research papers that need to be written or refined. Oh, big whoop, education; you beckon and you grasp for my attention, but you are catcalling for nothing. I'll come to you if you weren't always looking for me.
Let a man breathe, education. Give a man space.

I should be writing myself silly. That's what I should be doing. I should be working on my first novel, or something. I don't know. Nadie sabe hoy o en el futuro. Nadie sabe.

I saw a video on Tuesday regarding The Conversation we must have. The Conversation against colorblindness and against racism. It was from the early nineties and there were some giggles about the staging and attire, but the message was so pure.
One man erupted at a White man that was a product of the blind society.
"You are holding yourself back. Why can't you just think of yourself as a person?"
"BECAUSE I CAN'T BE JUST A PERSON, THAT'S WHY!"

(Here I am, pleading with the masses to be empathetic, and the problem the whole time is sight, and not sensation. Understanding and not philanthropy. Man, have I been wrong.)

He went on, the exploded (emploded) man. He said that to be American was to be white and to be American was to give up his ethnicity, his color, but that is not allowed because he is treated as a black man. He is inextricably tied to his color.
"Why can't you just think of yourself as a person" meant, "Why can't you be white?"
Because you won't let me, that's why.
Because I can't change myself, that's why.

Because skin color doesn't change.
Because sexuality doesn't change.
Because gender doesn't change.
Because faith doesn't change.


But what of transcendence? What of Becoming something better?
Then what of Racism, Homophobia, Sexism and Faithful Ignorance?
In this country, Straight White Protestant Males who hold the power are Better. They have everything at their fingertips and they don't even realize it.
Well, Straight White Protestant Males who have the power, there's a world about and it wants to be reckoned.

There are some people that you're stepping on. You might want to mind them.

1 comment:

sara-beth said...

i'm discovering that you are one of the few people around that actually cares.