Friday, September 3, 2010

Father Figures (Or Why I Learned to Love Artificial Insemination)

Okay, not really.

I would hate to have a blog, or any series of written pieces where members of my regular, dedicated audience says, "It's all kind of the same, Joel. You didn't grow, you hack."

You know?
If I was an old, bitter drunk and I wrote about being an old bitter drunk, maybe a wouldn't care, but I'm not Bukowski or Burroughs or
Hell,
I'm not even Hemingway.

So,
I'm really digging into the possibility of finding my biological father. I think the state of science is awesome and frightening, all the same. I shouldn't be able to find him, you know.

There are some exact matches on the DNA Family Tree website and I sent an email to my mom saying, "I know this guy isn't alive anymore, but he could have been my biological father."

She said, "No. This is why:." She then listed facts about my biological father of which I had never been aware. WAY TO KEEP ME IN THE DARK ABOUT EVERYTHING MOM.
I'm not angry, but if I find out about another sibling this year, I'll go crazy. I'll snap.

I put here a list of the things I knew about my biological father a month ago:

-Brown hair
-Brown eyes
-Master's program when he donated
-Lived in Oregon
-I can only assume male.

Here is what I was informed:

-25 in 1990, so born in or around 1965
-Many siblings, roughly 5 brothers and one sister
-Medium complexion
-Married with no children in 1990.
-5'11"
-Hobbies included biking, reading, writing, history and backpacking
-O+

The more you know!

It's like I'm discovering myself. Answers to questions I've always had, like my family's surprise at my academic success.
"You did really well in school this year, Joel!"
"Right."
"Well done!"
"It really wasn't an issue. Didn't you and Dad do well in school?"

"Well, no."

I don't know. I don't want to overthink it. Overwrought in Overthought. It'd be cool is all.
Right?

No comments: