Tuesday, January 12, 2010

There's no such thing as the real world

It's strange. It's all so strange and surreal that John Mayer hadn't been lying. What was he, 22, when he recorded some song that said just that. This is a guessing game. It's all a guessing game. I would love to hang out with all of my friends for a couple more years. I would love to beat all present and future video games and sample every new doritos flavor while I'm at it. Wouldn't that be glorious? I don't yet have a reason to cultivate my garden. Why should I?

I have to live this out. I have to work. You have to work or scam, or whatever, it doesn't matter. The buck stops here. I didn't realize the buck was arbitrary and so was my idea of here, but here it is. This is the end, my friends, maybe that's too personal. This is the end.

I write this only to mean that I have to do something tomorrow.

I have a song by Company of Thieves, The Dead Weather and Broken Bells all running, panting in my head together. Riffs and shouts bang out. I wonder sometimes about when I'll stop searching for new music, when I'll give up on the radio and cling to my discs and digital downloads from when I was eighteen.

Stephen Colbert is figur'd out. I was watching the Report and biking on a stationary. I figured it out. It makes sense why Stephen Colbert has a sizable audience and has received so much praise. Two things: He speaks baby talk. His interviews are hilarious because they are so ignorant, but not everyone thinks he's ignorant. He might be a truth-teller. He's not. He's a satirist. He dumbs down information to a liquid form, real issues, but sometimes lets got of highbrow steam. His liquefactioning of information makes it perfect satire, though. Score one for South Carolina.

No comments: