Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I give a B- to Reviews

They are doing more than the minimum, reviews, but still so much more could be done. Without a reasonable replacement, reviews and review systems are our best option for qualifying art, thought, and process But your test grades in eighth grade math still get a higher score than reviews as a whole.
I feel and I am not alone in feeling that when I read a review I am left with opinions that are not mine and guide me only as far as was intended and that length is a B-.
Shape up, reviews.

I read pitchfork.com's reviews of music, sometimes. It just makes me mad.
Here is link that makes me laugh instead. Look how digital the internest is.

I've been dying to write something, anything. My fingers are steadying, hardening and splintering from atrophy. I haven't written anything REAL (FEEL IT!) in too long.
And by real I mean fiction. I haven't written fiction in too long.

I started using sleeping pills.
I also stopped using sleeping pills. I just wanted some regulation. Those hours were out of control, with their big money spending and their ignorance of the common man,
oh, no wait, that's Big Business.
I couldn't sleep.
With every sleeping pill, I felt closer to celebrity, but then I gave up the habit, only to stare at the red marks on my ruddy face in the mirror. Oh Hardship, you bother me so!

Sidney and Joï (roommates) were listening to a poor cover of "Use Somebody" and I made them watch (made is a strong word; I coerced them, I rose my fist, yeah) into watching Jake Shimabukuro play "Dragon" and Andy McKee play "Drifting." Some of those tabs that I've left open in the window of my mind. Joï sang "Telephone" by Lady Gaga over both melodies.

You can lead a horse to water, and he'll eat for a day.
But you can't teach an old horse new tricks, not even when you beat it dead.

I keep reading philosophical material that makes my troubles seem trivial. I want or need or cannot but dedicate my life to something. I want to dream the future, yes. Walter Benjamin said that.

"Every epoch, in fact, not only dreams the one to follow but, in dreaming, precipitates its awakening."

So college is telling me to be a revolutionary and that writing silly satiric pieces can get me only so far.

Positive note: "Right to be Lazy" by Paul LaFargue is HILARIOUS.
That's not really positive.
Duane Reade is open at all hours.
No, not positive.

No, okay. I'm settled.

When I dreamt I was an electron in a bar, I still ordered milk and (is) the bartender (here) asked me if I wanted anything else.

"No, I'm fine."
And as an afterthought,
"Thanks."

5 comments:

Max Glaspey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Max Glaspey said...

I think reviews as a whole deserve a C.

I give the finger to reviewers.

Christopher said...

This post deserves a D+. Usually your posts are in the A to A+ range. In all honesty (I feel a rant coming on). I don't really read anyones blogs but yours anymore.

Well, I open Taylors, and scroll through them. I can usually make it through them in about 5 seconds. 10 if he name drops anyone I recognize.

Andrews blog I sometimes read. I usually start reading it. But lately it's gotten so ...self centered that it's tough.

Your's are usually great though. I hope this isn't a new trend where they aren't.

Joel Arken said...

No, you know, I felt really proud to get my thoughts out, but it felt like I was just trying to clever about it.

Weak.
Don't try to do anything, Joel, just be.

Taylor said...

First of all, this was easily one of your better posts Joel. Second of all, Chris you has explicitly stated to me before that he doesn't like your blog because he no idea what you are talking about. That might have been like a year ago, but still.

Just saying.