Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Grammatical New York (It's probably just Symbolic)

Before I came to the city, it was a quote.
The New Yorker would say,
The Times would say,
Bruce Vilanch would say... "New York."
But it was really just a high tilde. I knew it was on the keyboard, but I had no use for it.

When I arrived, the Taxi Driver with his mohawk and song of redemption only gave me an ellipsis...

I was begging for something more.
Was I left with anything more than questions?

I travelled ^Up and was met with FLASHES! and CELEBRITIES!
Exclamations and slurs [in brackets, for context].

I kept moving around the city, in tiny expanding circles. .oO
finding the $money tied to the percent of stock% quotes and digit@l interaction.
But my classes were telling me to be a CAPITAList & have more than one identity/understanding\of the world. I can be more than one thing.

I = so many things, but where am I? Do I need to be here?
Why is there so #much death. and focused melancholy if this place is the end-all, beat-all?
Where do I go from here?
Is this place a period.

No, I can leave.
sometimes it's a comma or a semicolon.
A pause is domestic, so that's LaGuardia,
but a harder pause is international, so that's JFK;

I'm still not excited, though. As if the Giants and Yankees fans were saying with a big colon: New York. That's the answer. That's the example, por ejemplo.

I'm +ing all of this up, I'm taking it in from an m — to an n – to a -

But, I believe now that I understand this place.
this place is an asterisk. (*You do what you want with it.)

3 comments:

Joseph Moullet said...

I like it plenty.

Joseph Moullet said...

i have something to say but i wont say it here, ill say it somewhere else.

Natalie said...

again, appreciated.